Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Just Build Your Own...

I really need a console table to go in our foyer and a tall, narrow bookshelf for the blue room. After weeks of online shopping and window shopping around town I have found NOTHING. It would easily cost me $200 for the console table I want and $100 for the right bookshelf so I decided I would just make exactly what I want.

To all couples who plan to get married.. make sure you register for power tools. Girls, you may think you want fancy towels or new dishes but you will really love having the tools to build your own __(fill in the blank)_.

Let's just say, I LOVE POWER TOOLS. I can use a jig saw now and I didn't even need Craig's help. Nope, I read the directions (yeah, it was tough) and just installed the saw blade and made a few cuts and there you have it.

Seriously though, I drew out a plan and figured out about how much lumber I needed. If you're going to paint it you can just get the inexpensive Pine you find at Lowes or Home Depot. If you want to stain it you can spend more and get oak, etc. for a nice woodgrain.


Today, in only about 3 hours, I built the table and painted the first coat. I used a very simple plan with a top piece and 4 legs. The legs were screwed in place to the top first and then I framed the 4 legs with 3x1 directly under the table top. Then I cut insets for the 2x2 legs and put in a lower shelf to stabilize the long, skinny table and to add some storage space for "coffee table books" and picture frames. After securing all the pieces I flipped it over and started painting. It may not be the most beautiful table ever built but it only cost about $20 to build.

And, the best part is, it's custom built for our foyer area and will fit our need perfectly. Not even a $200 piece could say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment